Are you interested in joining over 150 Native leaders from across the region in becoming a Native Nation Rebuilder? We built this program for citizens of the 23 Native nations in our region who have a passion for learning about innovative Tribal governance practices and ways to take these ideas and approaches to their own Native nations to make a positive difference.
Applications for the Native Nation Rebuilders Program open each summer. Applicants are required to submit the following materials:
- A completed online application form
- Two reference forms: Your references must be from two non-relatives who are familiar with your values, character, and goals.
- A letter of support from your employer
Rebuilders are required to attend four sessions during the course of their first year. Session dates for Cohort 10 in 2018-2019 are as follows (attendance is required at all sessions):
- December 4-6, 2018 (Mystic Lake Event Center: Prior Lake, MN)
- April 24-26, 2019 (Spearfish Canyon Lodge, Lead, SD)
- September 17-20, 2019 (Location TBD)
- December 4-6, 2019 (Location TBD)
Eligibility and Criteria
Applicants to the Native Nations Rebuilders Program:
- Must be at least 25 years of age by the date of the first session.
- Must be an enrolled member of one of the 23 Native nation that share geography with North Dakota, South Dakota, and Minnesota.
- Must currently live in Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota or one of the 23 Native nations that share that same geography.
- Must be able to attend all four in-person sessions and complete assignments between these sessions.
In addition to the online application, applicants are asked to have two references submitted in support of their application. These references must be from two non-relatives who are familiar with your values, character, and goals. Applicants are asked to send an online form to their reference as part of the application process.
We also invite nominations for the Rebuilders Program! Nominations forms will be available when applications open for each corhort.
Selection Criteria and Process
A selection committee composed of individuals with expertise in nation building will evaluate each Rebuilder candidate according to his or her commitment to Native self-governance, leadership experience, knowledge of the issues facing his or her nation, and potential to help his or her nation.